Saturday, July 21, 2018

Few Precious Hours

Yesterday morning was a challenge. Up at 5AM to give me enough time to see the retina doctor at 7:40AM, all was well until we turned on the traffic report. The pass was closed. There was an accident between a large garbage hauling truck and a pickup truck, which also involved tree branches and wires down on the road. I was out the door by 6:15 and headed north for the long way around, worrying about the amount of traffic I was going to deal with due to the pass being closed. Two things were working for me: It was a Friday and it was early.

I was only 20-minutes early for the appointment, checked in with the only other person there then another person arrived. They began to chat. The new arrival asked how the first lady was feeling. Better, she said. Better? Oh no. With that, she mentioned that she was coughing a lot. Coughing? I sat as far away as possible and that was when the coughing began.

Thinking of all the older people who visit retinologist, I watched as she coughed HARD into her hand. It was a very productive cough. Then, she would touch paperwork and hand it back to the patients, who were beginning to arrive.

She should not have been allowed to be at work to spread her germs to every single person.

I finally saw the doctor, my pressures were 15 in each eye and he was happy. It was after he did an exam to my eye that he said the large bleed on my retina had stopped but I now had blood clots in places there were no clots when he saw me last time. He asked if I had high blood pressure. I told him about rehab class on Thursday when it was 80/50 and they wouldn't let me leave until it was higher. But, I wondered it using the Aerobika might be the cause. Using it makes me cough very hard, every morning. He said it might but...

There is a very extensive test that he said would get to the bottom of the problem and we agreed to see each other next Friday for this test.

From there, I went to mom's. We ran some errands and were finished with lunch at Nordstrom's but we were just talking when my phone dinged. It was William. He wanted to meet at a hotel in San Jose (about an hour away) at 3:00PM. It was 12:30, I had to get mom home, call Michael so we could meet at home then drive down. It was going to be tight.

Did I mention that there was a new accident on the pass? By the time I got there, it was on the side of the road and I flew by it. I made it home in record time, changed my clothes and got cleaned up. We were out the door and arrived to his hotel about 30-minutes early!

There was one of our favorite restaurants in the hotel, William had suggested an early dinner there so he arrived at our table right on time. After dinner, we sat in a small, private area and talked about everything. We made our holiday plans, he shared his business plans, we asked if there was time for a visit up to his home in the Fall, we just...talked. He looked fantastic and happy and relaxed. He really has created the life he wanted. We are so very proud of him.

No comments: