Sunday, July 15, 2018

Statins and Injections

It was an interesting appointment with Dr. M, my endocrinologist. I was there for my annual appointment to check my Hashimoto thyroid disease, my cholesterol and my bone loss due to prednisone therapy since 2005. He was a dad at the school where I got sick. I knew his wife and two amazing children and, when he heard I was having problems having my thyroid disease treated correctly, he offered his services. I have been his patient since 1995.

In 2004, I phoned asking for his help while I was being misdiagnosed. The local doctor told me I had exercise-induced asthma. Period. Take this inhaler and you will be fine. I got sicker. I went back to the doctor every two weeks, he increased the dosage of the inhaler then added another inhaler then increased the dosage of it, all while I grew weaker and sicker. I had asked to see a pulmonologist. He said it was not necessary. 

We cancelled our summer vacation plans. I was too ill.

Finally, I phone Dr. M. to ask for his help. He asked about my symptoms and other very specific questions then said, "It sounds like you have an interstitial lung disease. I will refer you to the Chest Faculty Clinic." This saved my life. It was there I got the biopsy, which revealed the diagnosis of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. It is where Dr. K. showed up about six months later, having been hired to run the clinic. She alone has kept me going when all others told me to get my personal things in order. 

Dr. M. was lovely, as usual. After reviewing my records and talking about my health during the past year, we made some decisions. The latest data was coming in with people being injected with Prolia for five years suggested dosage. There was a problem. When stopped the injections, there was an increase of large bone fractures. As I had only one injection, he changed my infusion drug to one that has been around. Safer, for now.

Then, I asked about being removed from Lipitor due to memory issues. He told me that his Lipid colleagues feel there is no proof that it causes memory loss but I noticed it the first 6-months of taking the drug years ago. As I am in a brain study for memory loss over time, I know I have been on a decline. Names. Dates. Words. I shared that with Dr. M. who changed my statin to Crestor. We will see if I notice a difference. 

It was an interesting appointment, which ended with him sharing photos of his son, a young artist in New York city. He was all grown up! 

No comments: