Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Conversation Before Rehab Class

I met a very young woman who just graduated from the 8-week program of pulmonary rehab and will now begin maintenance. Because of her age, I so wanted to know her story. Before my rehab class yesterday and 30-minutes into the class, she and I were able to connect in the lobby.

What a story.

She had a very rare lung disease of "disappearing lung," I think. The lungs just stopped working. No one knows why. No one know how to fix them. She had less than 50% of her lung capacity and had difficulty exhaling. The rehab program greatly improved her quality of life and she was committed to continuing the bi-weekly workouts. She was being seen at my mom's university hospital and very unhappy about it. Her pulmonologist moved to another hospital group and she was assigned to a resident who will be overseen by a doctor. That, my friends, was how I got into so much trouble until Dr. K. arrived on the scene.

As we spoke, she had been wanting to transfer to my university hospital so I gave her some names and helpful hints on how to transfer. Dr. K. would know which doctor would be best for her issue. I have a feeling we will be seeing each other down the road.

I am finally seeing my primary doctor this afternoon after being strongly encouraged by the rehab RN to have her check out the disappearing/appearing bump on my leg featured on the video I recently posted. My bet is that it is a fat bump. But this morning, I am meeting my biologist/musician friend for a chat and coffee after her trip to Boston to visit a friend.

A nice day ahead.

No comments: