Thursday, September 27, 2018

Full Room

In a way, it was fabulous to sit at a table and watch all the people come through the door to the 10th Annual Patient Appreciation Luncheon at my university hospital. Doctors, staff, nurses, administrators, patients all together in one room. I was invited as a founding member of the Interstitial Lung Disease Support Group whose leader recently retired but is volunteering to continue leading the group. She sat with us but was often pulled away to say something to the group or to see some people. It was good to have her there. She is greatly missed.

In another way, it was rather terrifying as I realized that all but a very few of the patients I have met through the last 10 years of meetings were gone. There were only two present, and they joined the support group about five years ago.

Again, as with my rehab class, I am feeling like I am top of the list. Last person standing. Rather daunting.

I was thrilled to be able to chat with two of the transplant doctors, whom I had met with as well as the head of the ILD Clinic. We have been friends for a long time. We met just before my lung biopsy in 2005 when he asked if they could save a piece of the biopsy for research. Yes, of course. He had three little kids back then and I was so happy to hear the oldest one was just dropped off to college! Time flies.

He used to have a co-head of the clinic, whom I adored. She had a baby at 40-years old but I haven't seen her in about three years. We used to bump into each other in the hallways and cafeteria so I worried she was working elsewhere. He confirmed that she was still working in the clinic but was getting an additional advanced degree. I looked at him and said, "Raising a young child, doctor, researcher, professor AND getting yet another degree? Somehow, I'm not surprised." He laughed and nodded. I'll continue to keep an eye out for her.

Michael enjoyed the event, especially the food. He chatted with people and I think we were almost the last to leave. A lovely day..

No comments: