Monday, September 24, 2018

BOOM! Again


Saturday, I commented to Michael that I was expecting the third shoe to drop, so to speak. Facebook announced someone broke into my account, the new medications kicked me into the Medicare donut hole and I was waiting for the third thing to happen. Bad things always seem to happen thirds.

It happened yesterday at 4PM.

I had just announced that a fantastic dinner of cauliflower, chicken, green onions and low-fat cheese was ready and just out of the oven! While walking from the kitchen wooden floors to the family room, where Michael was sitting, my Sketchers grabbed onto the wooden floor and stopped me short. I was propelled forward  and landed on my formally fractured knee onto the family room 9x12 rug. It hurt. It really hurt.

When I was able to move, I crawled crab-like back to the cough and lifted myself onto it. No hip fracture. No arm or hand problems. Time to test to see if I could put weight on the knee. Standing and...yes! It was not fractured! Yes! But, there was a problem.

It immediately began to swell while we watched. I thought maybe we dodged a bullet until I noticed a huge bruise that felt like a large cord under my skin. I thought that maybe I severed something. That was when we made the decision to make the long Sunday night drive into the city to my university hospital.

Michael grabbed some ice and we headed north. The ER was not too crowded, they checked me in and we sat in a separate area for immunosuppressed patients. We waited about an hour before we were taken to the lesser ER area, where I had been seen with my fractured knee 17-month earlier. They were fantastic. After three X-rays, it was determined that I had NO damage! The large bruise was exactly that, a bruise. Yes, a large and very deep contusion but, nevertheless, just a bruise.

THANK GOODNESS!

They sent us home with ice packs and with the knowledge that I was seeing the vascular people for testing on Tuesday. They said it was exactly what was needed.

A side note: I was very touched when the doctor told me that she would never have suspected that I have been on prednisone for so many years. I neither looked or acted like it. I mentioned that I am on a very strict diet but she said it was how I looked. My face and body did not show the common effects from the drug. It made me feel pretty good!

No comments: