Thursday, March 15, 2018

Check it Out - Aerobika

What a satisfying day. It seems that the glasses can be adjusted to stay up on my nose as well as away from my eye lashes all at the same time! I did choose to have new lenses made that are trifocals as I will be able to read music easier, I think. Hopefully.

Dr. K. was in a very good mood. We reviewed my visit to the ER in February, how I handled the after visit with my primary doctor also how and when I returned to rehab. Telling her about the road trip in May, she ordered some antibiotics to take with me. If I do begin to get sick, it will save an entire day at an ER and, since they are so careful giving out antibiotics these days, they may not understand that I need antibiotics at the first sign of an infection or BOOM it goes into pneumonia.

Regarding beginning the reduction of prednisone from 15mgs to 12.5mgs recommended by the Lung Transplant Clinic, she immediately rejected it. We had tried it and the coughing was...she had a perfect word for it, which I can't remember. Impossible to live with. She wrote that 15mgs was within the guidelines for lung transplants. We are staying put.

When I was on the antibiotics after the ER visit, I had no cough. No wheeze at night. No cough ever. Slowly, a cough has returned. It is not too often but it is there. I told her about how wonderful it felt just after the antibiotics but the insipid cough began to slowly creep back. I asked her if I am going to have a constant low form of bronchitis or pneumonia? She told me that I am having problems clearing the deepest part of my bronchi. She suddenly jumped up and out of the room only to return with a device called a Aerobika. Then she said, "You go to rehab. They must know/have a Respiratory Therapist involved with the program who can demonstrate how to use it." I am bringing it to rehab today to ask if I can meet with an RT so I don't have to go back to the city. It is a device that should be used to clear the airways (and mucus, which is not an issue for me) by using it two times a day for 15-20 minutes. It seems to use pressure to work. No batteries. It is about the size of my hand, light and comes apart in four pieces, which need to be washed everyday. Look it up online. There are even a few YouTube videos demonstrating how it works, one is HERE. If you think it might help, ask your doctor about it. After I have it properly set, I will use it and report back to you.

No comments: