Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Conversation in Rehab

The baby quilt for Shelley is coming along but I only worked on it just over an hour yesterday. Rehab class went well and both Jeannie and I felt so great while driving home. But, after just fifteen minutes in the house, Michael phoned and needed me to go back over the pass to pick him up. Our car was going to spend the night in the shop as they were needed to finish some work on it so it is ready for the road trip. That ate up the time I had planned to do some more sewing.

This morning, I am running over the pass once again to buy some groceries then home to have additional fun at Safeway. Newly retired Sue and I had planned to meet for lunch today but her husband was in that horrible motorcycle accident on March 11 and was released from the hospital on Monday. Home! His own bed! We postponed our lunch date.

With no lunch date, I am going to spend the afternoon sewing and, hopefully, finishing the top of the quilt and maybe even the boarders. Photos soon!

In the rehab class, a woman named Mary joined over a year ago. She was quiet and nice and the head of the program asked me to chat with her. She would do this if a patient needed me to talk about the program, how it extended my life and offer hope. So, I went over and talked with her, found out she was on prednisone and complained about experiencing the weight gain. I told her about my nutritionist and diet. From that day until now, she seems to avoid me. I always say hello to her when our eyes meet but, that is rare.

Yesterday, the RN took me aside to mention that she advised Mary to talk with me about her impending lung transplants and her difficulties navigating the system at my university hospital. She thought I could help. I am happy to help and I so hope she will feel comfortable enough to talk with me.

No comments: