Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Day of Problems

The entire day, nothing went smoothly. After awhile, mom and I just had to laugh. It began at Walgreens where she was upset that she could not get the doctor prescribed amount of glaucoma drops for her eyes and also that she was unaware that her insurance changed to where she had to reach a deductible. We leaned that the insurance company would only approve 10 ml at a time no matter what the doctor ordered. That was new to us and it explained all the problems she was having but she still did not understand it. It took a long conversation in the car for it all to make sense to her. Problem #1.

To the post office next, which was right next to the AAA office. There was a long line of cars entering the parking lot and others trying to leave while we just wanted to swing by the mailbox to mail my bills. Finally, while avoiding two accidents, we made our way out of that parking lot into the AAA parking lot next door.

We were there to pay for the DMV renewal tags for the car we are driving on the road trip. The disability spots were all taken and we had to park and hike in from the back 40 acres - it felt that far away. Problem #2. We were about three people from the front of the line yet it took an hour of standing. Problem #3. While waiting, I looked into my purse and found that I had missed a bill to be mailed. Problem #4.

Finally free of AAA, we drove back to the post office parking lot and mailed the found bill. We began to realize it was not going to be a normal day. With hope for better luck, we drove to Costco to pick up my glasses. I shall not go into the details about how long that line was and the woman who helped me with her coughing and sneezing, but I am either having the glasses greatly tightened so they don't hang down my nose or I am buying a whole new pair. Hate them. Problem #5.

It was well after noon when we headed to Chili's for lunch. Pulling into the parking lot behind two cars, I watched as each parked in the only two remaining disability spots. (My mom is disabled, too.) We chalked it up to the day's bad luck. We found the lunch menu for the first time ever, chose the soup and the two chicken tacos. But, guess what? Our favorite waitress warned us that the systems were down at all the Chili's. Of course they were! Problem #6. We told her of our day and warned her that our order was going to be lost in the kitchen! Guess what? There was a hangup in the kitchen and lunch arrived after a long wait and when it did arrive, I got the wrong item. Problem #7. We laughed with the waitress that we had warned her! It was us! She refused to give us a bill. A free lunch. I handed her a very large tip and she got a hug from both of us.

Somehow I got home without a problem. But, what a day! I hope this cloud of problems has lifted and I make it through the day and the evening Irish Fiddling rehearsal unscathed.

No comments: