Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Kindness

You can accomplish by kindness what you cannot by force.
Publilius Syrus

There are only two more days of the rehab class before our trip. Today will be the usual run over the pass while Thursday will be a bit different. Barry will drive Jeannie home so I can leave to meet Michael for a PFAC meeting at my university hospital in the city. It is going to be a good one as we have a major person wanting to present to us and to ask our opinions. Yup, a room filled with Type A people and someone asks for our opinions? Others have been overwhelmed by our responses. It should be an interesting night.

The experiences of being seen in 15 clinics on three different campus has been invaluable in these meetings. I have learned to observe what makes a well-run clinic and how to work the system. Every hospital has a process that we sometimes need to work around.

I think the best advice I could give anyone going to a new clinic or seeing a new doctor in his/her office is to be kind. Arrive on time or even a bit early. Be clean. The front desk people can either help or hinder you. If you storm in and demand to see the doctor within a few minutes (I've seen this more than once), no one will go out of their way to handle any problems for you in the future. Sad fact, but true. When I am taken back to a room for my vitals to be taken, I always ask that person if they live close by. This is a great conversation starter then often it continues about our children. A connection is made. They will remember you in a positive way as you get them talking about themselves and show interest.

The plus side of all this? I am remembered and greeted by name when I arrive for an appointment, I often leave the clinic before my appointment time as they have taken me early because someone else was late, the front desk will make appointments for me for tests instead of having me do it, a time for a next appointment will suddenly open up exactly for the time and date I wanted and, best of all, one doctor told me that his staff loved me. Longtime relationships also develop and going to the doctor sometimes feels like a visit with good friends.

Kindness opens doors and works magic.

No comments: