Friday, April 13, 2018

Small World

Jeannie and I went to a visitation for our rehab friend Rob. We met his wife and three sons. Rob had joined us from another rehab program that had shut down and loved our program. He would ask his sons to drop him off an hour early so he could talk with our little group in the lobby. I learned last night that when his wife picked him up after class, he would talk about all the conversations we had with each other.

Me? She mentioned to me that he talked a lot about me. I laughed and said, "I hope it was good!" She was struggling last night but I was able to get her to laugh a couple of times. Her sons also were struggling. Two of them work for fire departments and one is a long haul truck driver. Rob was so very proud of them. They are spreading his ashes at his favorite hunting and fishing site high in the mountains that he loved so dearly.

Jeannie was able to express her fondness for him and how he helped her through some issues. The family was very tender and kind to her.

The room was beginning to fill with people for the rosary and people were meeting the family. I heard one introduction and recognized his name. I messaged what this man looked like and asked Michael if he was who I thought. Yes. The man is a huge deal in the car world.

While I waited in the lobby for Jeannie to use the restroom, I spoke with the funeral director. It went from chat about the area, marching bands, music to the school where I got sick. It turns out his child graduated from the school in 2015. He asked me specific questions to see if I really knew what I was talking about and I passed all the tests. Suddenly, the flute player from the little orchestra here on the coast walked through the doorway! What are you doing here? It turns out that her daughter is an EMT for the same fire department as one of Rob's sons and they just bought a house together! Small world! After a brief chat, Jeannie and I headed to the door. The funeral director walked us out, shook my hand and said it had been a pleasure to meet me.

After I got home, I showed Michael the program for Rob's services, which included several photos. Michael recognized him, "I have seen him around car stuff."

Small world.

No comments: