Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Traveling with a Lung Disease

Traveling with a lung disease can be a challenge. Portable oxygen systems have made it a lot easier as they can be run on the lighter in the car and plugged into the wall of hotels for sleeping. In the old days, we had to order my huge liquid oxygen tanks to be delivered to the hotels along the way. They have since been banned as they can be used as a bomb, so I was told in Las Vegas.

I am not allowed to fly so we do long road trips to see the country and visit friends/relatives along the way. Our first trip was a disaster. We went to Las Vegas to visit Michael's mom, the weather was hot, my ankles swelled, Michael got a virus while we were there and shared it with me on the way home. I got very sick. After returning to rehab, I swore to the RN that I was never going to travel again. She smiled and said, "We will give you the skills you need." Skills? Okay.

Several months later, with the skills in hand, we took a "test road trip" to Seattle to visit William. It was such a success that we have never stopped traveling since. The difference was that I wore compression hose during the day to control the ankle swelling and I would actually rotate my ankles in the shape of the alphabet to keep the fluid moving. At night, I would remove them to preserve the skin. It worked and I still travel with compression hose and rotate my ankles whenever I think about it. At the hotels, she told us to wipe down the room with Clorox Wipes. Everything from the TV remote to the light switches to the water faucets. Michael and I have become so good at this that we can do a room in just a couple of minutes.

We also learned to stop at rest stops, get out, take the long way to the rest rooms, do my warmup exercises to get the blood moving and to drink lots of water. I know, that means more bathroom stops but it worked out great as my ankles were happy throughout the long trip.

The RN also taught me that how and what to eat was also important. Avoid overly salty foods and "heavy" foods. Keep it light as digestion is easier instead of that uncomfortable feeling of being too full while on the road. She also mentioned that it was okay to nap while Michael drives.

The road is out there waiting. Give it a try. Here are just a few photos from a few trips: the views, a rib joint off of a dirt road deep in Alabama, Michael in Seattle with the Space Needle, we stumbled into the Duck Dynasty boys at their factory and Michael sealing his Maker's Mark bourbon with wax while on the Bourbon Trail.

No comments: