Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Dumb Luck

We made it through yesterday's long trek into the Central Valley. Traffic driving out in the morning was terrible but we were able to keep to our schedule. We visited Dad at his crypt, added some fresh flowers, mom kissed the marble then we worked on her brother's plaque to shine it up. We drove to her old hometown for coffee before meeting her friends for lunch. We had a ball. Her best friend Grace, also raised in Chicago and born in 1928 like mom, looked so much older than the last time we saw her. She needed a walker to get around and very slumped over. Rather sad to see from such a dynamic woman.

We are planning to attending a meeting of our Patient Advisory Board late this afternoon. There are nineteen members but only about six regularly attend. With that small of a group, our voices are heard. They also serve a heck of a dinner!

About a month ago, I had my first Fibroscan to test for scaring of my liver. It is so less invasive than a biopsy as it uses sound waves to determine the thickness of the liver. Michael and I will see the liver doctor tomorrow morning to find out the results of the test. As I have had a biopsy of my liver, and the results were excellent, I am expecting a good report. With all the medications I have taken over the past eleven years, I am convinced that had I been a person who had wine with dinner or a cocktail once a week, I would be in deep trouble right now. Dumb luck!

No comments: