Thursday, March 1, 2018

Good PFTs

What a day! I woke up at 3:30AM and couldn't sleep while waiting for the alarm to ring at 5AM. Into the shower and out the door at 6AM on the dot! Traffic? Piece of cake. Parking? Easy! I had to wait for the blood draw center to open but was able to put my name on a list and I was #8 of the day!

While waiting for the blood draw, Dr. K. was on her way to the clinic, we said a hello across two aisles, she asked how I was doing, I said I was great and she kept walking.

The results came in while I was eating breakfast. All the liver functions numbers are great and my cholesterol numbers are excellent. All good.

I read, walked and wandered to help digest the food before the 11:00 pulmonary function tests. I only have two: Spirometry and Diffusion. Thankfully, after recovering from pneumonia, the numbers are pretty similar to my previous PFTs. The DLCO adjusted for hemoglobin was 11.57 or 48% of predicted. The Forced Vital Capacity was 1.45 or 47% of predicted.

I'll take both and do a little dance, too! I expected to see these numbers worse as I thought the pneumonia may have caused an exacerbation of the disease. A re-set downward.

So, round two happens this morning. Again, out the door and back into the city to my university hospital by 6:30AM for an early meeting with the head of the Lung Transplant Clinic to discuss options regarding my failing Nissen fundoplication. Then, a fast drive back down the coast to Jeannie's for a drive over the pass to rehab class. Then home. Glorious home. Oh, and all this will happen during a huge, driving rainstorm. Great.

Mom gave me an option of staying home on Friday. I may just take her up on her offer!

No comments: