Saturday, January 6, 2018

And the Doctor Said...

It was interesting. At one point, the ILD Clinic doctor, Dr. C. waved then came over to the waiting area to give me a hug and that was when I told him I was there to see him. I needed some cheap advice. He laughed.

When he finally was ready to see me, he mentioned that he looked through my file to read his notes from our last visit when he realized that we have never seen each other formally but were tied through the speeches and conversations through the years.

I began with the facts. Dr. K asked me to meet with him to talk about the acid reflux, if my ILD would flare during the re-do surgery and if there something else we could do other than the surgery. He was unaware of the high fatality rate but did mention that the surgeon was one of the very best and that I was in good hands.

He began. If I had the surgery on the former Nissen site, that would not include the thoracic area, therefore, the lungs should not react. That was good news. He also told me about a study that he, my surgeon and my gastroenteritis did together, which looked at acid reflux in IPF patients. Once medications were introduced and the acid in the reflux was greatly reduced, the other microaspirations that continued to flow into the lungs did not do damage.

He was very concerned with the number of years I have been on prednisone and rather surprised that the head of the transplant clinic told me never to pull back as it causes a fatal fall in patients with HP. He said that he has several patients with HP who are not on prednisone. Interesting. I did mention that  I have tried to pull back through the years but have found the sweet spot of 15 mgs. Anything lower and my cough becomes unbearable.

So, his suggestion was to take medication for a month, suggested Lansoprzole as that was what he takes, to see if I feel better. As for the lung transplant people, he said to consider having the re-do surgery as I qualify for the transplants. Basically, at that point, I don't have a lot to lose.

He also suggested that I email the surgeon and ask if there are any new devices that could help the reflux instead of re-doing the surgery. Devices. The is the word he told me to use.

We ended the conversation with a hug. I'm sure I will bump into him in the lunch line again.

While all this was going on, Michael and mom made their way to her university hospital for the monthly shot in her eye, she introduced him to all of the people who always greet us and she loved showing him off. He is rather handsome. She told me they had lots of fun!

Somehow, I lost the house alarm fob yesterday afternoon while we were in town. The alarm people are due this afternoon to set up an upgraded system that will allow our smart phones to set the lights and alarm without fobs to lose. That is my Saturday!

No comments: