Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Rehab

It didn't rain until late last evening and it is muggy and warm this morning. Mom and I had fun exchanging her purchases at JCPenney's yesterday, a quick run through Lowe's then lunch at Red Robin. At Lowe's, several towns north of hers, our cashier greeted her like an old friend! She had been a cashier at Sears before it was recently torn down. She and mom used to chat and it was so sweet for me to witness this exchange. The woman was young, yet they spoke to each other like friends. They clasped each other's hands as we were leaving.

As I pulled into our driveway in the afternoon, I immediately noticed that the tree was gone. Michael told me later that it was down and into the recycling bins within and hour and a half. Rick was a professional! Now the hard work begins. We need to remove the front part of the large stone container to remove the trunk, fix some sprinkler pipes and bring in fresh soil. Ron is itching to get it planted with vegetables.

Rehab class today! I have noticed that Jeannie is not breathing well lately. After her hospice break from the class, she returned walking quickly and breathing really well. Now, she has to pause from the apartment door to my car then needs more time to get her breath back sitting in the car before we can get on the road. She seems to be going downhill. It is sad and scary to watch and I know that she is well aware what is happening to her. She insists on exercising, despite the concerns from the hospice people, but I wonder if it really is good for her, at this point. Or maybe what I am seeing is just part of the downgrading of the disease. I can only offer help and support. I know she enjoys our rides to rehab class together and that alone makes me happy.

No comments: