Thursday, June 7, 2018

Feeling the Pressure

It is 6AM. I am leaving to drive deep into the city to see the nutritionist for the first time in almost a year. From that appointment, I have another one far south of the city at 11:00AM.

Yesterday morning, my right eye was really bothering me. When blinking, I could see the dark veins in my eyes. I also noticed a darkening area, which really was alarming. Though I had an appointment to see my hip eye doctor next week, I needed him now. ASAP.

By 9:30, I was in his office worried that the glaucoma was out of control and I was losing my eye site. Something was really wrong. When he first checked my eye pressures he said, "Bingo!" The good eye was a nice 11 but the bad eye...45. OMG. That was way too high.

He dilated my eyes and discovered nothing else. THANKFULLY! No damage to the optic nerve, no tears, no nothing. I reminded him that a year ago the other eye had this problem, he treated it with a laser and it was still doing well. Time for the same procedure to be done on the bad eye.

Today, I will be registered into the hospital where I go to the rehab class then we will go into a room with the eye laser. It is rather painless and I can even drive home afterward.

Something to remember, I have all of this as a side effect from the prednisone. My doctor believes that the medication caused the high pressure in my eyes, not only the prednisone pills but also my inhalers. If you are on a steroid for any amount of time other than a quick step-down, please have your eye pressures checked.

No comments: