Sunday, August 12, 2018

Dodging Tourists

I have written often about Barbara and her day care kids through the years. Well, she retired. No more kids! She has been having a ball visiting friends and her boys but yesterday I helped her plan a big trip to the Mt. Rushmore area in September.

It was fun for me to envision her and wonderful John enjoying life on the road together. Suddenly, I was feeling wanderlust again. I know I am not well enough to do another trip right now but we are thinking of a quick run to Seattle to see our son in September. 

In just over a week, I will have pulmonary functions tests and a CT Scan. It will be interesting to see if the disease has progressed since the last tests. Yesterday, I slept the morning away after sleeping well the night before. I have been needing a lot of sleep, which makes me a bit nervous. 

Today, we are out of food, the lists are made and I am planning to try to sneak over the pass early so I can get back before the tourists flock to town. It will be a race! 

Food. Michael's friend Ricky has just been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at the advanced age of 70! Everything hurts. Experiencing his first run of prednisone, he is in the "Master of the Universe" stage and loving every minute of it! His doctor suggested that he try an anti-inflammatory diet so I have been helping with that. As an Italian, he is struggling. No grains, no dairy, no Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers), which translates to no pasta, no bread, no marinara sauce, no diced peppers in anything. Poor guy. I think it is the hardest diet when eating Italian or Chinese food. 

So, while I am on the road dodging tourists, my mind will wander about being on a lovely road trip with nothing on our minds but being together and watching the sunsets. 

No comments: