Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Inspiration?

It was almost enough to give me a swelled head! Several times in the past two day and in different settings, I have been told that I am an inspiration. One person didn't even know me! It was all rather embarrassing and I tried to deflect the attention back to the other people. Even when I was head of the huge program at the school, I always had the children out front, doing the work. After I left, the guy who took over craved the spotlight and it all became about him, not the kids, nor the program. I think I liked the power but didn't need the attention or applause.

When people first come to our rehab class, the head of the program used to have me talk to some, if she thought they needed me. Well, two of those woman have become such good friends who are part of the rehab class group meeting in the lobby an hour before class so we can chat. One woman even mentioned that her recent coming off of radiation therapy for breast cancer and returning to rehab was all about being together and seeing everyone. The reason for coming back to class as soon as possible.

Both of these women were unsure whether to stay and workout after the initial eight-weeks of Phase 1, which is fully covered by insurance and Medicare. Phase 2 is not. Our cost is $15.00/class and worth every penny. Scholarships are available through the hospital for those who need it.

They told me that my story about being in rehab since 2005 and working my way back from a death sentence gave them the confidence to continue, in which they are now so grateful they made that decision.

Yesterday, I paid the mortgage at my favorite bank over the pass. I had not been there for months. It was surrounded by the huge rebuilding of our major mall and one had to hike in on sidewalks surrounded by fences, dirt and loud equipment. Parking was odd but they had a nice security guard watching it all. I made a comment to him like, "Well, this is interesting!" That began about a ten-minute conversation. During it, he shared that he was taking care of his 95-year old mother, I told him about my mom then he asked about my parking in the disability spot as I looked great. I told him the short Reader's Digest version of the journey I have been on since 2002 and that I felt this illness was the work I was meant to do in this life. Before saying goodbye, he told me I was an inspiration and an angel on this earth.

I don't know about the angel thing but I do hope I give people hope, advice on how to keep moving forward and encouraging a focus on diet and exercise.

No comments: