Friday, August 24, 2018

One Last Test Result

...and one last test result: the sonogram of my belly and arteries in my liver:

FINDINGS:
Liver: Decreased, mildly echogenic liver. Homogeneous echotexture. Smooth surface contour. Right hepatic lobe measures 13.1 cm. No suspicious lesions identified.
Spleen: Normal, measuring 11.9 cm.
Gallbladder: Nontender, nondistended. No evidence of cholelithiasis. No gallbladder wall thickening. Bile ducts: Common duct measures 2 mm. No biliary duct dilation.
Kidneys: Right kidney measures 10.7 cm. Left kidney measures 11.4 cm. No hydronephrosis, nephrolithiasis, or suspicious lesions identified.
Pancreas: Obscured
Aorta: Visualized distal aorta unremarkable.
Inferior vena cava: Visualized distal IVC unremarkable.
Main portal vein diameter: 9 mm
 
Doppler findings:
 
Portal veins: Patent, hepatopedal, with normal phasicity.
Hepatic arteries: Visualized hepatic arteries patent, with normal spectral waveforms. Left hepatic artery not seen.
Hepatic veins: Patent, with normal phasicity.
Inferior vena cava: Patent, with normal phasicity.
 
IMPRESSION:
 
1. Subjectively, there is decrease in echogenicity which may suggest some improvement in persistent hepatic steatosis. No sonographic evidence of cirrhosis. No suspicious liver lesions. Normal visualized hepatic vasculature.
 
2. Otherwise unremarkable abdominal ultrasound.
 
My favorite part is just above: Nothing to see here. Great! So, my liver is better and everything else looked good.

After all the tests, the good news is that the aerobika is working so there is no longer air being trapped in my lungs, which could collect bacteria causing bronchitis or pneumonia. The BAD NEWS is that I am going to become good friends with yet another doctor, a cardiologist. Apparently, I have moderate calcification in my heart arteries. Stints in my future.

Michael and I had a very honest conversation yesterday as I wanted him to understand the bigger issues of all of these reports. Everything is stable except the moderate coronary heart disease. It is something that could cause a sudden heart attack. Boom. Done. I told him if that happened, I was aware it was a possibility. He is having a hard time with that as he is ready for the big push for new lungs. It may never get to that. But what we both found interesting is that it explains why I have not been feeling well the past three months. I was expecting a downturn yet all the pulmonary tests were stable. My low blood pressure, exhaustion, increased shortness of breath all point to the problem with my heart. 

My plan? The next appointment with Dr. K. is in two weeks and I am sure she will submit a referral to one of the top cardiologists at the university hospital. That's one of the things I love about her, she sends me to the best doctors.

No comments: