Monday, August 20, 2018

Party #2



I am recovering today from the big 90th birthday weekend. Mom phoned yesterday to thank me for all that I had done and for the speech I gave on Saturday. Her Birthday Party #2 was so satisfying and just perfect. We arrived very early and her friend Pat helped me move tables, set the tables and came up with great ideas. She was rather brilliant and worked her butt off.

By the time everyone began to arrive at 3:00, Lee was playing the new piano outside the room in the lobby, people were singing along and tapping their feet while surrounding the piano. They then made their way into the room where they were greeted with the table with the photo boards. Everyone lingered and listened to mom's stories about her family. People were fascinated. They would then turn to the tables where the cupcakes were on display. We encouraged people to try a couple! They were absolutely delicious. There were also coffee and soft drinks available.

People sat around and chatted then I made my speech. First, I thanked specific people for their help and introduced my sister. I then explained about how I had asked mom what she wanted for her party. "You are her present. She feels so at home here yet I realized that a home is not about the windows or the wood siding, it is about the people.You make her feel at home here and we want to thank you for being so kind to our mom." Then, we sang the famous song, she blew out the candle and they all stayed another hour listening to Lee play 1940s music on an old upright piano in the party room! It sounded great and wasn't too loud.

We all went back to mom's apartment and talked about the party for another hour! We even ate cupcakes! Mom had been on her feet during the entire party and she was exhausted. On Sunday, she never left her place, which is rare for her!

Sunday morning, Lee and Jeff came over the pass to join us for a fantastic breakfast at the little airport before they headed home. Michael and I drove back over the pass to see Natalie, Ethan, Winnie and Oliver's new house! They got the keys on Friday and were in pretty good shape! It was gorgeous and had a pool just step outside their back gate. Paradise. Winnie was so very happy to have her first bedroom to herself. She had been sharing with Oliver - she is going into 6th grade. It was time.

Today, I am going to drop off a Meyers Lemon bush for their vegetable garden. They already have a small lime bush and a ton of vegetables. Once, Winnie told me that when she grew up, she was always going to have a Meyers Lemon bush to remind her of her time making lemonade with me. She loved the smell, too! So, I will surprise them. Afterward, it is grocery shopping time again. Back to life.

No comments: