Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Sweet Few Minutes

My rehab boys were waiting for me! I arrived with a piece of tiramisu for Sherman and a delicious piece of almond cake for Dick to enjoy with one of his endless cups of coffee. Sherman looked fantastic. His color was good, he looked energetic and much better than I had anticipated. Dick, not so much. The radiation treatments are taking their toll. He was rather pale and looked tired and weak.

It was so great to have the three of us together again.

Dick didn't stay long, he needed to eat and go to bed for a nap. He had just received a treatment before meeting us. Lots of hugs all around.

Sherman stayed and worked out for about 25 minutes. Amazing. I think he felt better afterwards and said he would return for Thursday's class. Everyone asked how he was doing and commented that it was great to have him back in class. He had to know how much he is loved and how much he was missed. I hope it helped with his depression. We talked about it. He has lost his confidence, even driving. He was a USP long distance driver and is very proud of that. A professional. For him to feel that it is so out of character. His real issue is that it takes so much longer to get up and out of the house that he just gives up and stays home. That is bad. We talked that he really had to fight that and come to class, at the very least. He told me his daughter is saying the something to him. Great.

I tried to just be quiet and listen to the two friends talk and drank it all in. Dick is not going to be able to join us for many more weeks/months so I just wanted to imprint the few minutes together in my memory bank.

We gathered to celebrate Sherman's 91st birthday. Mission accomplished.

No comments: